Sunday, April 5, 2015

Last day of student teaching in the states

Well, Friday was my last day student teaching in the states. I cried for two days straight. Typing this right now I am beginning to tear up again. I had the most WONDERFUL experience you could ever imagine at Potter Gray Elementary. I began my student teaching journey in the 4th grade classroom with Mrs. Cole as my cooperating teacher. When I began I was so nervous. Afraid that I would mess up, afraid that I wouldn't be good enough. You see my personality is very strong... I always want to be the best at everything I do. Whether it be with sports or with school. I was scared of failure, I was afraid that I wouldn't reach the students. I was to be teaching and creating lessons for science and math. Math I was a little afraid of because, as the PRAXIS tells me...it isn't my strongest subject, apparently. My first day teaching was a little scary I was sweaty and nervous of failure. Much to my surprise, my first lesson went beautifully. I know with all my heart that teaching is for me. When I get in front of the students it just feels like I am on the top of the world. Things just come to me. We feed off of each others personalities and off of each others knowledge. 4th graders are TRULY so intelligent. They amazed me with their knowledge everyday.

I was lucky enough to be placed with Mrs. Cole in my first placement. To be honest I was afraid of disappointing her at first. You see, she is like a God at that school, EVERYONE looks up to her. She has been teaching for longer than I have been alive. Yeah, talk about a lot to live up to. Well, I must say... she lives up to her name. She is AMAZING with the students. Every student truly respects her and trusts her. She is so passionate and caring about teaching. Her car is the first one in the parking lot every morning and she is the last to leave. I aspire to be half of the woman and teacher that she is.

With that being said, I had the best mentor of ANY other student teacher at WKU. I am sure of it! She is retiring after this year, I am SO lucky I was placed with her... she gave me the confidence and knowledge I needed to begin my teaching journey.

Teaching 4th grade was the best experience of my lifetime, thus far. Science has always been my favorite subject. So as I am sure you know, I was STOKED to be able to teach science. Dr. West taught me ALL I know about teaching science, but my original passion for science I believe is what helped me execute lessons like I did. The students were always so engaged when I was teaching. I was able to make learning truly fun for them. They taught me more than I ever taught them. They showed me what love really is...

When you're a block student you have NO IDEA what it is like to have 70 students look up to you, listen to you and respect you. When you become a student teacher you get a taste of that respect. With that respect also comes love. Those students spoiled me rotten. They listened in class, they performed well on their homework and on their tests, and they were good...for the most part. Every morning I woke up at 4:45 A.M. in the best mood you could imagine... you know why? I got to wake up every morning knowing that I would see their faces again. They truly made me a better person... I could be around them all day, everyday and I would be alright with it. Their age is a very special age, a very impressionable age. I hope that I meant as much to them as they did to me.

Teaching is the most rewarding profession in the world. Not only do you get to see students faces light up when they understand a difficult concept but you also get the love of 70 little humans. Believe me, I've never been in love before... but I don't think any love could ever be as rewarding as the love from students. I am not saying they didn't dislike me somedays...some students lost recess, some students made bad grades, believe me I learned how to be a strict teacher... The next day all was forgiven and they were back to being wonderful. I could clearly go on for forever... I love each and every student who has came into my life... they say to teach is to touch a life forever...well, they touched my heart forever and I will never forget them. 


My second placement was in 2nd grade. I was honestly nervous for second grade. I have never taught tiny humans. I have always been placed in the upper grades. When I began teaching classes at WKU I thought I wanted the younger kids. I started getting placed in 5th grade classrooms for every class. I learned to love the upper grades and the younger grades actually scared me.

Second grade was much different. I didn't quite feel like they were MY students like I did with the 4th graders. The relationship building took longer because I wasn't able to teach as much... After I began teaching everyday the relationships were built quickly. The students listened to me, respected me, and loved me. They were so loving... Every morning a different student brought me in a flower to Good Morning Potter Gray... it is the little things I love. Those flowers and little pictures they drew me will mean something to me for the rest of my life. I started bringing content into the second grade with a matter lesson. I misunderstood the younger grades, THEY ARE CAPABLE of learning content!!!!!!!! They impressed me so much, now... I am not afraid of the younger grades.

I don't know what my future holds... whether it be upper grades or lower grades. I will be happy with whatever I receive upon completing graduation, I just want to change lives, make differences, and make students happy. As long as I can share my passion, I will be happy too.










No comments:

Post a Comment